The side effects of chemotherapy can be emotionally uncomfortable and physically draining. When it comes to oral care during chemotherapy, alcohol-free toothpaste and mouth rinse products from Dental Herb Company provide soothing relief from mouth sores, help rebuild damaged tissue, and create an inhospitable environment for bacterial growth. Oral sores from chemotherapy result from chemo’s efficacy in killing rapidly dividing cells throughout the body. While beneficial when it comes to destroying cancer cells, this process can wreak havoc on cells lining the mouth. Once cells are damaged and natural immunity is weakened, the risk of developing painful oral sores increases substantially.
Mouth sores from chemo can appear on any of the soft tissues that line the mouth, as well as on the lips, tongue and esophagus. In severe cases they can impair an individual’s ability to eat, talk, swallow and breathe. The good news is there are some simple steps patients can take to help avoid or relieve the discomfort of mouth sores.
How to Reduce The Risk of Developing Mouth Sores from Chemotherapy
Mouth sores from chemotherapy generally develop a few days after the start of treatment and disappear within a few weeks of stopping, but since chemo often lasts several months, it’s important for patients to boost and strengthen oral health as soon as possible. Reduce the risk of developing mouth sores before starting treatment by doing the following:
- Visit the dentist to check your teeth and gums for potential issues that may worsen and/or cause pain during chemotherapy.
- Develop an effective mouth care routine. Your dentist can recommend the right toothbrush, toothpaste, and mouth rinse that will address a chemo patient’s special needs.
- Avoid mouthwashes that contain alcohol; they will exacerbate oral irritation and further dry out the mucous membranes of the mouth.
- Eat an antioxidant-rich diet (plenty of colorful fruits and vegetables) that will help to boost your immune system.
- Quit smoking. It’s critical to good oral health under normal circumstances, and even more so during chemotherapy.
How to Treat Mouth Sores from Chemo During Treatment
If mouth sores erupt during chemotherapy, effective treatment for minimizing the pain includes:
- Choose foods carefully. Limit the amount of alcohol consumed and avoid foods that are spicy, acidic, sharp, crunchy and overly hot or cold. Soft foods are easiest to eat and the most gentle on sensitive mouths.
- Use topical painkillers and/or coating agents recommended by a doctor. These may be beneficial in numbing the intensity of mouth pain.
When it comes to treating mouth sores from chemo, choosing the right oral care products can help. Oral care products that are non-irritating and have excellent tissue building and antimicrobial properties can make a difference. The family of highly effective antimicrobial products from Dental Herb Company are formulated to rebuild and condition connective tissue and promote good oral health. These Truly Natural® solutions are made with precisely calculated proportions of pure essential oils that work synergistically with alcohol-free extracts of organically grown herbs to reduce oral bacteria and help maintain healthy teeth and gums—ideal for patients undergoing chemotherapy. Pure essential oil of lavender and vegetable glycerin, both of which are used in all our products, are particularly soothing agents for those suffering from painful mouth sores.
Truly Natural® Ingredients
An essential oil that has powerful antiseptic properties.
The proven formula developed and used by Dental Herb Company is a combination of seven different essential oils that work together to enhance optimal oral health. Red Thyme has powerful antimicrobial and immunostimulating properties. Cinnamon Bark is an antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory agent. Lavender enhances circulation and tissue rebuilding. Peppermint encourages wound healing and reduces the temperature of infected and inflamed tissue. Eucalyptus assists in tissue conditioning, while echinacea helps to maintain the structure of the connective tissue. Lastly, gotu kola increases blood vessel formation within the connective tissues.
The choice of oral care products can make a difference for people who are undergoing chemotherapy and experiencing increased sensitivity and heightened susceptibility to infection and tissue damage in the mouth. Talk to your dentist about using Dental Herb Company’s products throughout the treatment process.
When looking for a gentle and effective toothpaste or mouth rinse before, during or following chemotherapy, consider Truly Natural® professional strength, alcohol-free products from Dental Herb Company, now available for purchase online.